DON'T do these 6 things if you're looking to buy in 2018
6 Things NOT to do if you want to buy in 2018
New Year, New House? Well, let's hope so. PLEASE watch this as Chris Lord of Caliber Home Loans and I discuss 6 things NOT to do if you're wanting to buy in 2018.
1. Not have a plan
- The worst thing you can do is see a house you love and NOT be able to buy it.
- "Too often people call us and say they want to buy THIS house, when they're not even pre approved yet."
- It's NEVER too early to start planning.
2. Changing Employment or Becoming Self Employed
- Even if you're getting a pay-raise can effect the purchase of a home.
- Often times lenders look for 2 years of employment - of course there are exceptions, but that's generally speaking.
3. Not Having ONE Go-To Realtor to Help You
- Another no-no is not having ONE go-to realtor to help you the whole way.
- You may meet someone at an open house that'll send you properties, xyz agent, and another agent sending you stuff. I don't advise this.
- You're going to want to have one GOOD realtor the whole way that will know EXACTLY what you want and if they work hard enough - do WHATEVER it takes to make it happen for you and the strategies to unlock and find the inventory for you.
- You'll be spending a lot of time together so they'll also know what you're looking for and have your best interest the whole way.
4. Making a Large Purchase (Car, Furniture, ETC)
- If you take on new debts, this will effect your purchasing power.
- It's not that you CAN'T buy a car or if your car breaks down, we understand; just keep your lender in the loop.
5. Falling in Love Before you Have the Keys
- Sometimes, yes, sometimes, a house doesn't close for a variety of reasons.
- Buying a house is EMOTIONAL - and it's hard to do, but wait to celebrate until you get the keys in your hand.
- You can avoid this, by HAVING A PLAN from the get go.
6. Not Being Patient
- Especially in this market - when it's competitive and there are more buyers than sellers, sometimes your first offer doesn't get accepted, or you can't find what you're looking for.
- Don't get impatient through buyers fatigue (thinking you'll never get a house), overpaying, settling or if there's not something you love right away. It will happen. Trust the process and trust your realtor.
Are you thinking about starting your home buying journey? Reach out, we can help you.
Austin Schneider, Realogics Sotheby's International Realty | email@example.com
Chris Lord, Caliber Home Loans | firstname.lastname@example.org